Does Better Opamp makes noticeable difference?

I was curious if opamp rolling does make noticeable difference in not so revealing/ average 2 channel stereo audio gears.

Yes, it is easy to tell the difference when the audio gear is high end and very revealing or headphone rig but how about 2 channel stereo audio gear that is typical average Joe would use? Does it really make difference and would it be worthwhile to spend money on opamp rolling?

I happen to have 2 DIY Phonostages that I use often and both are opamp based hence I got a couple of Burson Audio Supreme Opamp V6 Vivid to upgrade both phonostages.

Average Joe Testing Gear

- Monitor Audio Silver RX6 Speakers

- Vintage Mission Cyrus One Amp

- Canare Star Quad DIY Interconnect cables

- TaraLabs Prism 2+2 speaker cables

- Stanton ST150 MK1 Turntable (Internal phono circuit bypass mod done)

- Shure V15 MK4 MM phono cartridge

Testing #1 - RJM Audio VSPS (Very Simple Phono Stage)

67314790_RJMwithVivid.jpg.c88dce3572db855e79ab5a25eb74e837.jpg

i) With the original opamps installed 2 x single NE5534P, tiny bit of hiss but not major. Sounds clean enough. Warm and well rounded sound but lacks a bit of clarity and resolution.

ii) After quickly switching opamp to 1 x V6 Vivid, tiny bit of hiss has gone. Blacker background with a bit more clarity. It now sounds a bit less warm and midrange is less pronounced comparing with stock opamps. The biggest change is soundstage. Soundstage has widened noticeably and better instrument separation.

Overall, positive change but missing warm & more pronounced midrange. I visited Burson Product page and found that there is a comparison chart (refer below). According to the chart, V6 Vivid has more details & soundstage but less color & texture than V6 Classic. I think that I would personally prefer V6 Classic for this specific phono-stage.

V6-S4.jpg

Testing #2 - DIY Phonostage based on Universal Stereo Preamplifier from Silicon Chip

98036892_SiliconwithVivid.jpg.fd7a30d6b943a9d75c013f65bcb438ad.jpg

i) With the originally installed opmap, LME49720HA, no hiss or hum, it offers clean signal with very little coloration but lacks low end slam comparing with RJM VSPS (stock opamp installed).

ii) With V6 Vivid, again no hiss or hum whatsoever. It offers a bit more clarity and definitely wider soundstage and better instrument separation. And, it adds a bit more low end. It sounds more fun to listen with and more balanced now.

I particularly like this combo and this is better match than RJM VSPS with Vivid combo.

If  I can swap one unit of Vivid with a Classic, I might do, so I can test both V6 Vivid and Classic and see if there are noticeable difference between two models and if Classic adds a bit more warmth and bring out the midrange even though it sacrifices soundstage and details from RJM Phono.

Overall, I am surprised that I could tell the difference between opamps with average audio gears. Not a night and day difference at all but still the difference can be noticed.

(P.S.) i also tried Elekit TU-8500 Preamp because it looks so good when those large bright red opamps installed (see photo). However, it was not a good match. The output gain from V6 Vivid seem too high for Elekit that has low output opamps so loud hum when phono input is selected. It would been awesome if it did...

Elekit with Vivid.jpg

Edited by Spider27

I did a comparative review of the Burson V6Vivid vs the V5i which I posted on SNA mid last year. (From memory titled "A dream come true") The component concerned was a Matrix m-stage hpa-1, a very highly competent audio performer but by no means impossibly hi-end. With both headphones (its primary role in my system) and feeding power amp and speakers, I found the audible differences  between these opamps were not small. Without reprising the entire review, I concluded that the sum total effect for me was a significantly more enjoyable musical experience. I was struck by an apparent increase in presence and realism. I really wish I had the words to explain the phenomenon. Chalk and cheese transformation in my case.

Edited by Bisguittin
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I swapped V6 Vivid with V6 Classic and compared both with same gear and played Nikki Nack - Tune Yards album multiple times. 

Not a big difference but changing from Vivid to Classic gives more midrange presence with less soundstage and less detail retrieval but overall sound more balanced. For me, I definitely prefer Classic for phono preamp/phonostage and happy with the outcome.

For someone who prefer detail retrieval and bigger soundstage or have source or amp gear that is too warm sounding, then Vivid might be better choice.

Either way, I think that it is noticeable upgrade from cheapo stock opamps that come with.

Has anyone tried upgrading opamps with Burson Opamps?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg